Safety at work is an essential value within the Group sustainability culture. We strive to protect and promote Health as a fundamental objective.
We firmly believe in safety as a core value. Safety begins with workers and is then focused back on them as the ultimate goal of the overall risk mitigation and management improvement actions is put in place, through their involvement and participation.
We believe that injuries and work-related illnesses can be prevented. In achieving our goal of “zero harm” the main attitude required to our managers is leadership through a visible and exemplary behavior, proactive commitment and employee involvement.
What Health and Safety is for us
It is an integral part of our strategy
Define clear goals and targets to be reached through specific action plans and following a systemic approach.
It is a line responsibility. Everybody has a role and bears a responsibility to prevent incidents
Show leadership and commitment, starting from visible and exemplary behaviour of the management and promoting workers awareness and participation.
Establish accountabilities and responsibilities and make sure that all workers comply with procedures and rules in order to guarantee the health and safety of the whole organization.
It is to conduct a prior risk assessment for any operation
Identify hazards and conduct risk assessments in all work-related circumstances (e.g. routine and non-routine, complex operations) to provide a safe and healthy workplace.
It is an integral part of daily activities
Define and adjourn work-related procedures and risk assessment practices regularly, in order to establish proven and reliable controls to mitigate risks.
It is an attitude that need to be trained and encouraged
Train and coach employees prior to start their work-related activities. Implement and develop awareness and competence to safely fulfil their tasks.
It is to learn from failures as well as successes
Learn from accidents and near misses and share experiences with employees as a key factor, as much as investigate and report all root causes rigorously.
It is to guarantee the compliance with the laws at all levels of responsibility
Identify, understand and comply with all applicable local, regional, national and international legislation as well as corporate guidelines and rules.
Review all workplaces and individual tasks on a regular basis, to ensure compliance.
It is to focus on continuous improvement
Monitor, audit and review the adequacy and effectiveness of the OH&S management system, procedures and performances according to reference indicators and Group guideline and rules. As a result, define and implement any necessary corrective measure.
It is to promote transparency and collaboration
Build with all stakeholders a relationship based on the utmost openness and trust. Develop a constructive cooperation in the management of health and safety both within the group and with local communities and institutions.
H&S Management system
The implementation and maintenance of effective and efficient management systems for accident prevention is one of the key health and safety objectives at Group level. During 2020, all certified cement production plants completed the migration process to the ISO 45001 standard and were found to be in full compliance with the standard.
At the end of 2020, certified cement plants accounted for 73% of the total. The Group plans to certify all cement plants by 2022.
How we work in accident prevention
- Each plant is subject to periodic internal controls aimed at highlighting and correcting any risk factor, defining corrective plans, technical and managerial solutions on any equipment, plant, workplace as well as operating and behavioral methods. The resulting actions are thoroughly analyzed during periodic safety meetings.
- Scheduled maintenance is coordinated so as to maintain productivity, reliability and safety over time.
- We invest in safety devices (both individual and factory) and in machinery to maintain a high technological standard.
- Perform internal audits through Cementir Internal Audit function.
- We offer specialized training, carried out in the classroom and through on-the-job coaching and where appropriate with external training bodies for the prevention of identified workplace risks and technical skills for the correct use of campaign machinery and the empowerment of all employees.
- Improvement and prevention plans: we strive for continuous improvement of the occupational health and safety management system by defining measurable indicators monitored according to pre-established implementation plans.